In Kenya, we have three CRBs; all licensed for operation and regulated by the Central Bank of Kenya:
|Trans Union CRB||Metropol CRB||Creditnfo CRB|
|Delta Towers, Waiyaki way Westlands 020 7603752||Barclays Plaza 9th floor GPO area. Mobile: 0709 834 000||Park suites office 12, 2nd floor, Parklands road Mobile: 0735 880 880 Web https://ke.creditinfo.com/|
Accessing your Credit Report
The law entitles each borrower to access a free copy of their report once a year. Additional reports within the year will be purchased fromt the CRB. Borrowers are encouraged to frequently check the status of their credit report to ensure that the information in the report is correct and up to date. To access your credit report:
- Contact or pay a visit to any of the CRBs as indicated above
- Register on their mobile/online platforms to access the report as below:
Erroneous Information in the Report
A borrower should constantly check their credit report to verify that the information contained in the report is correct. If there is information that is not correct in the report, a borrower has a legal right to dispute the information. To lodge a dispute:
- The borrower should contact the CRB from which he/she obtained the report. The CRB will issue the borrower with a form through which he/she can highlight the erroneous information
- The CRB contacts the lending institution that provided the data to confirm the correctness of the information under dispute
- The lending institution is required to investigate and respond within fourteen days confirming either
- The information is correct and thus should remain as is;
- The information is erroneouss and thus should be deleted; or
- The information is not up-to-date, and send in the correct and up-to-date status.
- If a borrower is not content with the outcome, he/she is allowed to append a summary of the dispute which remains appended on the credit report.
CIS Kenya runs an independent Alternative Dispute Resolution Center (known as Tatua Center) that exclusively deals with CRB-Related disputes. Aggrieved borrowers can access the services of Tatua Center free of charge.